Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Quest for the Truth Part V

Here is the fifth part of my friend A's story, Quest for the Truth.


"We could hide in the library until it closes," suggested Marla.

I agreed that would probably be the best idea, since we didn't have a crowbar. Ha ha. But now there was the problem of having my parents agree to us sleeping over at the library after it closes. As if!

Then I had a brainstorm. I had been nagging my parents to let me sleep over at my friend Anna's house for about a week. She was conveniently located right down the street, so if I could convince my parents to let me stay there for a night, we could pretend to be going there but instead head down to the library. And of course, Anna's parents would be dropping me off here the next morning. Perfect. Now all I had to do was be a little angel so I could get what I wanted. But I'm always a little angel!

An hour and a half later, after a tiring walk, we were at the library. It wouldn't close for another two hours, so we picked up some magazines and sat in a corner trying hard not to be seen. I heard people walking by, and each time, I felt nervous. Just because someone sees me, it doesn't mean that they'll know we won't leave, I reminded myself. It's okay.

All in all, though, if you have two hours to waste somewhere before finding a key that will unlock the secret to finding a missing family, a library isn't such a bad place.

After reading five issues of Grl * Frend magazine and laughing at the perfectly make-upped models, I got impatient, so I went to look for Marla. The crowd in the library was starting to diminish and I had to be ultra-careful that none of the librarians would spot me. I should go into espionage, I thought. Finally I found Marla in the tween graphic novel section. She jumped three feet in the air when she saw me (okay, maybe not quite) but then she got herself together and said "Hi Amy. What's up?"

"I'm just really bored," I told her. "Let's find something to do. It's almost been two hours." I looked at my watch. Thirty minutes to go. We could start our search now, keeping out of sight of the librarians, but that would be too risky. We could wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment